Southwark GP Referral
The Southwark GP Referral service has been designed to help inactive people that are struggling with their mental and physical health. It does this by encouraging them to get more physically active both within the programme and beyond their participation and they are supported in taking more control over their own health.
What Support is Available?
There are three levels of support available as part of the Southwark: Kickstart, Active Boost and Cardiactive, each of which offers a different level of support for people with different needs.
Kickstart is the lowest level of support available and is ideal for participants who are confident to exercise safely and independently. This level of support includes discounted membership to leisure centres for using the gym, going swimming and attending group fitness classes. It also includes access to free or low cost non gym-based activities that include led walks, cycle training, community dance and fitness courses, seated exercise and park sessions such as walking football.
The second level; of support is called Active Boost. This is for service users who need a little more support in boosting their confidence in managing their own exercise programme, as well as in exercising safely. As part of the programme, those who receive this support get reduced cost leisure centre membership and a timetable of specialist supervised group fitness classes including gym sessions, aqua classes, circuits and Pilates.
Lastly, there’s the Cardiactive programme, which is for those who require the highest level of support. This has been designed for people graduating from phase three cardiac rehab in the last 6 months, as well as those who have had a cardiological assessment or review in the last six months. This element of the programme involves a specialist cardiac rehab programme designed especially for each patient. These include gym and specialist circuit sessions.
Everyone on the programme also has access to motivational support from the team, as well as educational sessions and walks with other service users.
What does the Programme involve?
For a 12 week period, clients will be encouraged to build up their weekly activity levels through attending sessions at the centre of their choice.
All clients will take part in an initial assessment at the beginning and a completion assessment end of their 12-week programme. Once they have completed the programme, clients will be encouraged to independently continue with regular physical activity and will be provided with information on local activity opportunities. On completion of the programme, all clients will be entitled to a reduced leisure centre membership.
Clients will be followed up at 9 months from start date on the programme and offered advice and support where needed by an administrator or exercise professional where possible.
Who is Eligible for the Service?
This service is open to all adults aged 18 and up living in Southwark or registered with a Southwark GP that are ready to increase their physical activity levels and doing less than 150 minutes of exercise each week. It’s also vital that they have no contra-indications to exercise and they must be clinically stable. Additionally, any patient with a cardiac condition can only be referred to the Cardiactive service.
Kickstart Eligibility Criteria
Service users must have at least one of these:
- Obesity (BMI >30 and <40)
- High Cholesterol
- Type 2 diabetes that’s well controlled by diet or metformin
- Anxiety and/or depression (able to self-motivate)
- 20-30% CVD risk over next 10 years
- Cancer history (not in treatment)
- Breathlessness as identified via algorithm. Fitness and lifestyle the main cause but they are not currently on another exercise programme.
Active Boost Eligibility Criteria
Service users must display at least one of these symptoms:
- Obesity or morbid obesity (BMI >30 to <45)
- Hypertension >140/90 but <180/100 (controlled under a GP blood pressure plan
- Type 1 diabetes (able to self-manage)
- Type 2 diabetes (well controlled by two medications or more)
- Anxiety and/or depression that’s not severe (they need more support to exercise)
- >30% CVD risk over the next 10 years
- Cancer rehab patient (following treatment)
Cardioactive Eligibility Criteria
Patients must have at least one of these symptoms, conditions or one of these procedures:
- Atheroscloretic disease e.g. peripheral vascular disease (PVD)
- Coronary Artery Bypass Graft surgery (CABG)
- The following arrhythmias and implantable device interventions (ICD, PPM, CRT)
- Myocardial infarction
- Stable angina
- Stable heart failure including chronic heart failure and cardiomyopathy
- Undergone a percutaneous coronary intervention
- Valve replacement
The following healthcare professionals are can refer to the scheme:
- Practice Nurses
- Specialist Nurses e.g. Health Check Hub, Cardiac Nurses
- Specialist Cardiac Physiotherapists
- Cancer Rehabilitation Team (GSTT)
- Renal Rehabilitation Team
Referrals can be initiated by a mental health professional by telephone or letter to the patient’s GP whose authority is required, and who can then send a referral to the programme.
Services are FREE
Make a change today
Want to talk to us? Try our free service today. Call our reduced rate number (Mon-Fri 8:30am-7pm). Voicemail is in operation outside of these times.
0333 005 0095
Get in touch
Got some questions? Email us for more information about how we can help you make the change; or simply register your interest now.
Ready to make the change? Do it now – complete this online form to make the change today.
Health Professional Referral
If you wish to refer a patient, download our referral form and e-mail or fax to your Everyone Health
Download Our Form