Hackney County Council
Hackney Child Weight Management
With the number of children and young people being classified as overweight or obese higher than ever before, it’s never been more important to act on this deeply concerning issue. Eight out of 10 obese children go on to become obese adults and, with that, all sorts of health risks follow, such as heart disease, strokes and type 2 diabetes.
Therefore, nipping it in the bud among those who live in, study in or are registered with a GP in Hackney or the City of London residents aged between 5 and 19 years of age (or up to 25 if they have special educational needs) is more important than ever. We are working alongside the local authorities to help reduce the number of obese or overweight children in the local community.
For a list of when the programmes are, Click Here
What are the aims of the service?
There are three main objectives of this service:
• Increase the number of children and young people in the area who are a healthy weight
• Make it easier for you to access the services you need to maintain a healthy weight
• Improve both you and your families’ knowledge and confidence in how to maintain a healthy lifestyle
How will we do this?
The service will provide you and your family with the knowledge and the confidence to make long-term changes to your lifestyles and behaviour, helping you become a healthy weight for good, rather than looking for a quick fix that are more than likely to fail in the long term.
In order to achieve this, we will provide the following:
• We’ll provide a non-judgemental follow-up session for you and your family
• Come up with a unique programme that’s tailored to you and your family’s needs
• It’ll focus on healthy eating, physical activity, behaviour change and overall wellbeing
• Your family will be supported throughout the programme, with follow ups six and 12 months after the end date to see how you’re getting on
How will the programme be structured?
The programme will be delivered across a 12 month period at times suitable for school age people and their families and held in local community hubs across the local area, such as schools, community halls and youth hubs.
• There will be an initial session where the first measurements will be taken and achievable goals will be set
• Group sessions with children and their families with practical nutrition advice, as well as signposts to local, easy to access physical activity sessions
• Be given advice on how to cook more healthily and how to make these changes permanent, rather than short term
• We’ll keep in touch to see how you’re progressing on a three, six and 12 month basis
Training – Raising the issueof weight with childrenand their families
This 2 hour course is designed to assist health professionals and anyone working with children to raise the issue of weight with children, young people and parents. The interactive course will provide sufficient information and tools to allow health professionals to identify a child’s weight by using the UK Standard Child Growth Charts. The training will also allow professionals to examine their own attitudes and beliefs towards obesity and to give them confidence to raise the issue of weight. See upcoming dates below. If you are unable to attend this date and time we are also happy to deliver the training at your organisation. It is also possible to provide shorter training to fit into your time. For more information please do contact the team.
- Monday 7th October, 10.00-12.00pm, Kreativ House, 280 Mare Street, Hackney E8 1HE
If you have any questions or require further information about the services Everyone Health provide please do not hesitate to contact the team.
Services are FREE
Make a change today
Want to talk to us? Try our free service today. Call our reduced rate number (Mon-Fri 8:30am-7pm). Voicemail is in operation outside of these times.
0203 314 4078
Get in touch
Got some questions? Email us for more information about how we can help you make the change; or simply register your interest now.
Ready to make the change? Do it now – complete this online form to make the change today.
Health Professional Referral
If you wish to refer a patient, download our referral form and e-mail or fax to your Changepoint Team.