Cambridgeshire County Council
NHS Health Check
What is a Health Check?
Everyone is at risk of developing heart disease, stroke, diabetes, kidney disease and some forms of dementia. The good news is that these conditions can often be prevented – even if you have a history of them in your family. With a free NHS Health Check, you will be better prepared for the future and be able to take steps to maintain or improve your health.
Health Checks are specifically aimed at those between the ages of 40 and 74, who do not have existing medical conditions such as diabetes or heart disease.
The NHS Health Check has the potential to reduce your chances of developing certain conditions and many people find it beneficial.
“I feel healthier and lighter” – Wayne, 41, after following advice from our health trainer during his NHS Health Check. Read about Wayne`s story here.
What does an NHS Health Check assess?
An NHS Health Check assesses your risk of developing heart disease, type 2 diabetes, kidney disease or of having a stroke. Here’s how it works:
- The check takes about 20–30 minutes
- You will be asked some simple questions about your family history and lifestyle choices
- Your height, weight, age, sex and ethnicity will be recorded
- Your blood pressure and cholesterol will be checked
- Depending on the results of these measures we will discuss how you can reduce your risk and stay healthy
- You’ll be taken through your results and told what they mean
- You’ll be given personalised advice on how to lower your risk and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Services are FREE
Make a change today
Want to talk to us? Try our free service today. Call our reduced rate number (Mon-Fri 8am–6pm). Voicemail is in operation outside of these times.
0333 005 0093
Get in touch
Got some questions? Email us for more information about how we can help you make the change; or simply register your interest now.
Ready to make the change? Do it now – complete this online form to make the change today.
Health Professional Referral
If you wish to refer a patient, download our referral form and e-mail or fax to your Changepoint Team.